SAW RIGGER FROM BRAZIL

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SAW RIGGER FROM BRAZIL

Post by grsboats on Fri May 31, 2013 11:40 am

Hello everybody.This topic will refer to my last Fe Project a saw rigger built in closed molds via hand laid up using carbon fiber.Actually it is the current record holder here but our last tests with diferents motors/esc's showed that improvements can be done with little work.One of my sons is a web designer and Works with lot of cad softwares so he was a great help to turn this boat a reality. I'm new to the Fe boating despite my 40 years of nitro buidings so I decided to create a simple design with good aerodynamics using all the tips I've achieved since my very first competition at the age of 15 y.Well the final package surpassed our expectations and I will post some of the steps were involved in this Project.
After have had the right dimensions (34"lenght X 8cm widht X 8,2cm height) written on the paper I decided to hand made all parts(instead use the CNC method) using thick MDF a great material to shape and finish.Here we go:
Attachments
DSCN3799.jpg MDF 9mm thick is good for this kind of building.You don't have permission to download attachments.(817 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
DSCN3801.jpg progress going on.You don't have permission to download attachments.(755 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3803.jpg a little bit work.You don't have permission to download attachments.(741 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3817.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(732 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3827.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(789 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3829.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(746 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3830.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(627 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3835.jpg fine finishingYou don't have permission to download attachments.(729 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3854.jpg master plug ready to start the molds.You don't have permission to download attachments.(699 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

grsboats

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 41
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: SAW RIGGER FROM BRAZIL

Post by milemaster on Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 am

cheers cheers Gill the best thing in our hobby is the feelling of creation!!!! And you create something really beautifull!!!!! Well done my friend!!!
milemaster
Admin

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 348
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2013-02-27

http://rcgreeksawboats.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alekos0657 on Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 am

great desing gill!!!!nikos told me that you are a great builder and now i believe him!!! great hull my friend!!!

alekos0657

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 83
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2013-02-28
Τόπος : ηρακλειο αττικης

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Fri May 31, 2013 5:38 pm

thanks friends I will post more soon as I have to resize my pics.Gill

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by tso on Fri May 31, 2013 5:42 pm

gill i can t even speak when i see such a beautifull boat!!!!!! Shocked Shocked great job!!!!!

tso

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 23
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2013-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks Guys some more pics.
Attachments
DSCN3857.jpg master plug in the box to start the molds.You don't have permission to download attachments.(748 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3859.jpg apllying the epoxy gelcoatYou don't have permission to download attachments.(776 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3863.jpg half mold of the tubYou don't have permission to download attachments.(797 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3895.jpg same mold process for the sponsons.You don't have permission to download attachments.(750 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3899.jpg lot of work but molds are good.You don't have permission to download attachments.(545 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN3998.jpg the very first model made with carbon fiber.You don't have permission to download attachments.(768 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN4010.jpg assembling with the help of my jig.You don't have permission to download attachments.(779 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN4057.jpg ready for the paint.You don't have permission to download attachments.(671 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN4077.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(672 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
DSCN4084.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Mb) Downloaded 1 times

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:49 pm

If you want to see more details of this bulding acess www.grsboats.com.br Cheers Gill

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by milemaster on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:21 pm

i told you guys this man can build nice boats!!! now gill this is for saw right? what setup is fit in there? what speed have you got on gps?
and how much is the weight of the hull?

milemaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks for your compliments.Yes this project started as a saw boat but after many requests from friends I decided to make a heat race version as you will see in my next post.equipped with a motor Neu 1527 1D(competition wind) 2300kv 8mm shaft running on 6S and a Swordfish 300A top speed was 196km/h.Boat ready to race weights 3,545gm.Here http://www.grsboats.com.br/?p=6707 you can follow what was done with this boat in the last six months.Cheers Gill

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:27 pm

BTW I changed esc for an Ice 240 because datalogging of the Sf 300 presented lot of misreading(even this esc being a great esc),the original rudder for a new speedmaster and a pair of rear winglets that were a big improvement in the stability at high speed.As you can see there were lot of changes but this is part of the development of a project.The very first test was done with a Leopard 4092 1390kv on 8S just to check the handling in different water conditions.Thanks Gill

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by milemaster on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:47 pm

when i build my rigger i made a mistake!!! i put a neu1527 1.5d and 8s and swordfish 240hv !!!!! the boat was very heavy!!!! i thought that if i can put a 6s setup the result will be better!!!! i tried turnigy 180 because it can handle 360 amps max!!!! and a small size monster 6pole motor 2250 tenshock!!!! the result was fanatstic!!!! i told andy brown to make me a prop for this setup and he send a very nice and very small prop!!!

the secret gill in riggers is i think small weight boat , max rpm ,props with high pitch and small diametre.... what do you think?
milemaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi friends I'm posting some more pics and you can see that I'm a riggerman...I've been running all kind of boats but mainly riggers since 1984 ! Feel free to ask whatever you want please! Gill
Attachments
004 (4).jpg motor Neu 1527 1D and esc Swordfisf 300AYou don't have permission to download attachments.(742 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
001 (12).jpg motor Neu 1527 1d and esc Hydra Ice 240You don't have permission to download attachments.(807 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
002 (7).jpg GRX FE SAWYou don't have permission to download attachments.(989 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
009 (2).jpg GRX FE HEAT RACEYou don't have permission to download attachments.(665 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
010 (3).jpg GRX FE HEAT RACE LEOPARD MOTOR 4082 2000kv ESC T-180 BAT NANOTECH 6S 45CYou don't have permission to download attachments.(662 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
011.jpg Carbon fiber turn finYou don't have permission to download attachments.(556 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
002.jpg ONLY RIGGERS IN MY WORKSHOP !You don't have permission to download attachments.(800 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by milemaster on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:56 pm

i agree with what you say '' only riggers in my workshop'' Cool
milemaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Well there're so many factors involved with riggers that it will take too long to discuss here BUT to be practical I would assume that a well designed rigger must have a high effiency i.e good aerodinamics versus hydrodynimics .I found out in the last years that the wheelbalance is a major factor with saw riggers(distance from the rear of sponson to the drivedog) so thumb of rule here is have a longer boat than in heat racing.weight of course will contribute but in Fe class is not a big deal.When I tested the boat with low kv motor(1390kv) and 8S it was hard to be in the 100mph even turning a bigger prop due to the extra weight of batteries and extralift of props.In fact it was to see how boat would handle water.When I changed to the high kv and 6S things changed drastically and I struggled to find the right props.Definetivelly the formula here is o thave max rpm with a perfect macth between motor and prop.How is the progress of your new boat? Gill

Last edited by grsboats on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by milemaster on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:16 pm

since my last ride nothing new!!! because tomorrow i give a big test in my univercity so i have a lot of study to do!!! i think i am going to run it next week!!!! to go to the lake i have to travel 200km so i dont have enough time!!!
milemaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Andy Brown is one of the most fine gentlemen you can deal with.Met him in Florida when I attended the Winternats in 2002 and have learned tons about props with him.Now a days I made my own props but if you can have his props you're good.My nitro saw record with a Picco 45 in 2005 was with one of this props an Octura 2160 56mm cup 5,6 ..103mph.The same boat in heat race can go in the up 80's also with one of his props.I'v been trading some info with Tyler G. but as I told you saw guys are very secretive in US and for me we are just talking about r/c boats lol.A good prop I have from Andy is a 1450 cut 46mm dia and 3,8 cup good for our boats.Dont go bigger than 47/48 mm if don't want to see amps going to the roof.My top speed was with a 2047 reduced to 46mm and 4,1 cup but I had to add a big extra cap bank to be in the safe zone.Gill

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:30 pm

I see how difficul is to pratice boating.Also here we have to travel 110km but its a great place with lot of activity.Unfortunetelly there are few guys running saw so our big event is 500km far away from here a pain in the neck to get there but only twice in a year so I have to deal with wife to attend both races lol. Ok man I will say g'd night to you and wish to go pretty well in you test at the University.I will be in touch soon with news. Greetings from Sao Paulo

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by milemaster on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Here we dont have secrets my friend here we all are like a family!!!! i run with octura 2140 from andy brown.... i don tknow very much about props but i read all the time!!! if you want to see abig difference in your speed try to cut the wires from the esc to the motor from the esc side 4-5 cm.....also timing is very important for the max speed and finally the pwm configuration!!!
milemaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:57 am

Winter in the South hemisphere has been tough on us..lot of rain and temps around 5 C in the área where I live so boating  has been post postned.Last week end mother nature cooperated a little and we could made some more tests and I would like to share at least this short vídeo.Hope to get ready for our major event in august.Thanks Gill

https://youtu.be/q74UIO3B4ms

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by MrRcFanatik on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Very awesome run man!!!  She flies!!  cheers

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 88
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2013-05-21
Τόπος : Canada

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:13 am

Well learning usually  takes times....btw I'm a long time  nitro guy that became Fe addicted ...so too much details to be absorved.....hope to have she ready for the next challenge! thanks Gill

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by milemaster on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 am

very nice Gill!!! i think you are going to succed a record!!!! very nice my friend!!!!
milemaster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks I'm trying to do my homework! Cheers Gill

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by MrRcFanatik on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:04 pm

I've never raced, or even seen a rigger in real life before... do you think they are better than V-hull or CATs?  Or just better in certain aspects?

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 88
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2013-05-21
Τόπος : Canada

Back to top Go down

Post by grsboats on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:55 am

First of all we can't make a simple comparision among these different hulls.Each one has its own caractheristics.I would start saying that V hulls are really good for choppy water conditions.Cats don't like too much windy conditions but well trimmed can also handle  bad water.Rigger are considered the formula one of model boating as they usually outperform monos and cats in any conditions with the same set up.In other hand they are a little bit tricky to be adjusted as they follow different running patterns.Talking about wet running areas riggers are the models  with the smallest ones so they have less drag and consequently higher performance.They don't suffer with the ground effect like cats/tunnels .This is a complex topics but in general these are the different aspects  of these classes.Thanks for your interest Gill

grsboats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next